Reusable Plates vs Paper Plates
Here’s why you should Start planning your AGM with BoomService now; In order to produce 100 Paper plates it takes around 56 gallons of water, with reusable plates its takes approximately 43 gallons of water to wash 100 plates in a dishwasher (an average of 14 place settings and uses 6 gallons per load) and (virtually) never have to be replaced. On top of consuming more water than reusable plates, paper plates have a giant impact on the environment, here are some facts about paper’s environmental impact:
- Packaging makes up 1/3 or more of our trash.
- U.S offices use 12.1 trillion sheets of paper a year.
- Paper accounts for 25% of landfill waste and 33% of municipal waste.
- With all the paper we waste each year, we can build a 12 foot high wall of paper from New York to California!
- Lessening of paper usage was predicted due to the electronic revolution. It didn’t happen. Demand for paper is expected to double before 2030.
- Every tree produces enough oxygen for 3 people to breathe.
- 40% of the world’s commercially cut timber is used for the production of paper.
- Pulpwood plantations and mills endanger natural habitats.
- Over 30 million acres of forest are destroyed annually.
- The pulp and paper industry is a big contributor to the problem of deforestation and is partly to blame for the endangerment of some species that live in the forests.
- The life cycle of paper is damaging to the environment from beginning to end. It starts off with a tree being cut down and ends its life by being burned – emitting carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- Paper production uses up lots of water. An A4 paper requires 10 liters of water per sheet.
- Most of the materials in landfills are made of paper. When paper rots, it emits methane, a greenhouse gas. When it is burned or composted, carbon dioxide.
Information above from http://www.theworldcounts.com
The environmental impact of reusable plates is solely positive besides water consumption when washing them which is still less than the water used to make paper plates of which cannot be reused, recycled or composted.
BoomService exclusively uses reusable ceramic plates and metal cutlery for your benefit, and the environment’s. Start planning your AGM